When I wake up to a foggy morning, all I want to do is stay inside and bake. What better way to brighten a dreary day then to make some rose-colored meringue kisses! I altered a recipe from Epicurious just slightly enough to make it my own. They are so easy and will definitely put a smile on your face when the day is anything but bright!
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 Cup of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint extract (or any flavor)
- dab of rose (or any color) gel food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Butter and flour a large baking sheet and make sure to knock off any excess flour.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat whites, peppermint extract and food coloring until they hold soft peaks.
3. Gradually add sugar and beat until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks. It will take about 10-12 minutes.
4. Drop heaping teaspoons of meringue about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
5. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and leave meringues in the oven for at least an hour. With a metal spatula, transfer meringues to a rack to cool completely.
6. At this point, you can have a lot of fun with decorations. You can dip the tips in chocolate and add sprinkles. I like the simplicity of the rosy color so I just left mine plain.
7. The meringue kisses can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days but I seriously doubt they will last that long!