***UPDATE! You can now buy this mask on my Etsy site by clicking here. I will make on just for you!***
Every time I watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s, I fall in love with Holly’s sleep mask. There are a few versions available online but none of them seem to fit the one that she wears in the movie. So, after much research and time, I came up with my own version. I made it up as I went along and looked at scenes from the movie to make the most accurate version as possible. If you are making this, please do not hesitate to contact me through the comment section here, Facebook, Twitter, or email at Lolo@ohlovelylolo.com if anything does not make sense. It is a fun sleep mask and it makes my family laugh every time I wear it. I even made the matching earplugs which are here. Enjoy!
- Black Felt
- Light Blue Felt
- Braided Gold Ribbon
- Gold Fringe Ribbon
- Gold Ribbon
- Tiffany Blue Colored Fabric
- Green Jewels
- Tiffany Blue Colored Thread
- Gold Colored Thread
1. Trace one mask frame onto the black felt. I used an old mask to get the proper shape.
2. Trace two frames onto the light blue felt that are slightly larger than the black frame and then two frames out of the Tiffany Blue fabric that are a bit bigger than the light blue felt.
3. Sew the two pieces of light blue around the black felt. This way, the black felt will block out the light and the light blue will block out the black felt from showing through under the Tiffany Blue fabric.
4. Make eyebrow-shaped “bumps” out of scraps and attach as shown above. The look we are going for here is the brow bone above the eyelid.
5. Next we are going to make the tie strings for the mask. Take the two sheets of fabric and put them together with the bad sides facing out. Take the gold ribbon and put inside the fabric as shown above. You want to have a bit peeking out of the side. Repeat on the other side.
6. This is inside out so we can sew it and the seams will not show. Sew the Tiffany Blue fabric around the edges and bottom, leaving the top seam open. Make sure the string is positioned so that when turned back to the right side, the longer portions will be on the outside.
9. Make the eyelids by cutting out an eyelid shape into two pieces of light blue felt (a). Cut two pieces of Tiffany Blue fabric slightly larger than the felt pieces. Sew together as shown in (b) with the two pieces of fabric on the bottom and the felt on top. Turn one piece of the fabric back over. Sew the fringed gold ribbon onto the bottom of the eyelid as seen in (c). Trim the fringe to your desired length and add a piece of the braided gold to the top of the fringe (d).
10. Attach the eyelids to the mask and you are done! Enjoy sleeping like Holly!